The Logistics Section is responsible for providing facilities, services, and material for an incident. It is important to remember that the logistics unit’s functions are geared toward supporting personnel and resources directly assigned to the incident. For example, in the Incident Command System, the Logistics Section Food Unit does not provide feeding for people who have been sent to shelters during an incident. This would be handled by the Operations Section, with food being ordered through the Logistics Section Supply Unit.
The Communications Unit is responsible for developing plans for the use of incident communications equipment and facilities; installing and testing of communication equipment; supervision of the Incident Communications Center; and the distribution and maintenance of communications equipment. It is further responsible for:
- Establishing and supervising the Incident Communications Center and Message Center (hotline)
- Hard lines
- Cell phones/satellite phones
- Portable radios
- FAX machines
- Computer resources
- Laptop computers
- Internet access
- Web Pages
The Facilities Branch is responsible for setting up and maintaining whatever facilities may be required in support of the incident. Those facilities include:
- Food storage (warehouse)
- Secure location
- Fork lift accessible
- Loading dock(s)
- Pallet jacks/forklifts
- Temporary animal shelters & hospitals
- Camp – temporary housing for activated personnel
The Transportation Branch is responsible for the movement of resources required by the Operations Section. Those resources include:
- Animal food
- Activated personnel
- Veterinary medications & supplies
- Animals – While animals are not a resource, upon rescue they will need to be transported to a safe location for care, treatment, and held until their owners can be identified or they can be adopted out.
The Volunteer Unit is responsible for determining the “fitness” of volunteers and directing them or “handing off” to operational units. This involves close coordination with CARTs.
The Security Unit is responsible for maintaining security at all SART facilities.